Friday, July 11, 2014

Favorites Friday - Cowboy Food

I have to share the story behind this one.  This is a recipe that my mom came up with when I was a little kid, but she originally called it "Bobbi's Ziti Beef Casserole".  My brother though it was icky and wouldn't eat it until my dad told him "this is what cowboys eat!", and then, of course, he loved it!  Ever since then, it has been known as "Cowboy Food", and it has been a family favorite.  I began making it for friends that came over in college, and they all loved it, too.  It's a good way to fix something fairly quick when people come over, but if you make it for just two people it makes good leftovers, too.  My husband and I make it fairly often, and by now we have added our own little modifications to improve on the original recipe.

Look at that glisten of cheesy goodness!


Cowboy Food
Makes 8 4 servings (Who am I kidding? We scarf this stuff down!)

Ingredients
  •  ~1 lb ground beef
  • 1 T onion flakes
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1 3/4 C ziti
  • 1 C frozen peas (or a little more if you want to sneak in extra veggies)
  • 1 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1-2 handfulls of shredded cheddar (this is one of those modifications we made to the original)
Instructions
  1. Brown ground beef in large skillet and drain grease.
  2. Add seasonings, water, cheddar cheese soup, ziti, and peas.
  3. Bring to a boil.
  4. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until ziti is cooked.
  5. Remove lid, add cheddar cheese, and stir.  (You could add in the cheese near the end of the simmer time, if you prefer to have more melting time.)
  6. Let sit a few minutes for cheese to melt and sauce to thicken.

The amounts above are for the original fairly mild version.  If you like it spicier (like me), you can add extra pepper and even a little chili powder to taste.  I usually make the whole thing with approximately the amounts called for, and just add extra spice to my bowl.  Another tip: use frozen peas, not canned. I used canned peas one time, and it just didn't taste right.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment