Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Smoky Bacon Pork Chops

This is another recipe I tasted at Publix, and couldn't wait to make it at home.  I also discovered how yummy pork can be, and it was cheaper than I thought.  I sense more pork recipes in my future!


Smoky Bacon Pork Chops
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  •  4 thick pork chops (original recipe calls for bone-in, but I used boneless)
  • 3oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/4 C cooked bacon pieces 
  • 1/4 C light mayo
  • 1 tsp chipotle pepper sauce
  • 2 tsp mesquite seasoning
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.  Line baking sheet with foil.
  2. Season pork chops with mesquite seasoning; place on baking sheet.
  3. Combine cheese, onions, bacon, mayo, and pepper sauce.
  4. Spread cheese mixture evenly over pork chops.
  5. Place on middle rack; bake 8-9 minutes.
  6. Turn oven temp to broil; broil 2-3 more minutes or until pork is browned and up to 145F.

Publix's Aprons recipe usually includes nutrition information, and this one weighs in at only 370 calories per serving.  Using the nutrition calculator on My Fitness Pal for the specific ingredients I used, the calories per serving came out to about 320. 

Om nom nom

The cooking time needs some adjustment.  I left it in a little longer than the recipe said, and it was still a little too pink in the middle when I cut into it, so I had to put it back in the oven for a few minutes.  I think it ended up getting a little overcooked in the end, though.  Maybe try 11-12 minutes, then broil for 2-3?  The pork chops definitely had a little kick to it, maybe a bit too much mesquite seasoning, though, so go easy on the seasoning.  I used real bacon bits because I keep them on hand and it was just fine.  I'm sure real bacon cooked fresh for the recipe would be even better, but it was so much easier to just use the ready to go bacon bits.  Overall, this was a pretty easy recipe to make.
The Verdict
Tony thought it "wasn't bad", and I thought it was quite yummy!  I will probably make it again sometime.  And I will definitely give more pork recipes a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment